Friday, November 16, 2012

With Winter Approaching, When Was the Last Time You Check Your Carbon Monoxide Detector


Having a working carbon monoxide detector is important all year along, but it becomes especially important during the winter months. 

As the cold moves into your area, you need to check if you have inspected your detectors.

When the temperatures drop, many tend to close up the house, including the windows and doors, to try and save money on utilities.  The problem with this is, if you do have a carbon monoxide leak, you are allowing it to build up, with nowhere to go.  One of the most common sources of the toxic, odorless gas are heaters and furnaces, which are used more in the winter months.

Many issues can be avoided just by making sure you have regular maintenance done on all household heating appliances.  With winter on its way, this is the time to bring in a trained and certified technician to ensure that everything is in proper working order.  It is also important to make sure that if you are using a space heater or other portable heater, you exercise caution while using them.

Another danger that comes with the cold weather is that many people opt to heat up their cars in the garage.  If you do this with the garage doors closed, the gas from the running car has nowhere to escape and carbon monoxide will back up into the home.  If you do warm up your car, make sure to open the garage doors and windows.

It is a requirement to have a carbon monoxide detector on every level of a home and within 15 feet of all the sleeping areas.

Carbon monoxide poising can cause flu-like symptoms including headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness.  In severe cases it can even cause death.  If you do experience any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately if suspect you might have been exposed to carbon monoxide.
Adapted from: http://www.wgem.com/story/20091355/the-importance-of-knowing-about-co-in-the-winter